This is my thirty seventh entry for Paula’s Thursday Inspiration. This week’s theme is sunset. I hope everyone will enjoy this new post of mine. Here’s a link to Paula’s blog https://lightmotifs.wordpress.com/2020/05/21/thursday-inspiration-57/
Sunset, also known as sundown, is the daily disappearance of the Sun below the horizon due to Earth’s rotation. As viewed from the Equator, the equinox Sun sets exactly due west in both Spring and Autumn. As viewed from the middle latitudes, the local summer Sun sets to the northwest for the Northern Hemisphere, but to the southwest for the Southern Hemisphere.
The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the upper limb of the Sun disappears below the horizon. Near the horizon, atmospheric refraction causes sunlight rays to be distorted to such an extent that geometrically the solar disk is already about one diameter below the horizon when a sunset is observed.
Sunset is distinct from twilight, which is divided into three stages, the first being civil twilight, which begins once the Sun has disappeared below the horizon, and continues until it descends to 6 degrees below the horizon; the second phase is nautical twilight, between 6 and 12 degrees below the horizon; and the third is astronomical twilight, which is the period when the Sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon. Dusk is at the very end of astronomical twilight, and is the darkest moment of twilight just before night. Night occurs when the Sun reaches 18 degrees below the horizon and no longer illuminates the sky.
Locations further North than the Arctic Circle and further South than the Antarctic Circle experience no full sunset or sunrise on at least one day of the year, when the polar day or the polar night persists continuously for 24 hours.
Sunset, Sunsets, The Sunset or Sun Set may also refer to:
Arts, entertainment, and media
- Sunset (1988 film), a 1988 western directed by Blake Edwards
- Sunset (2018 film), a 2018 Hungarian film directed by László Nemes
- Sunset (novel), a 2006 novel by Erin Hunter
- Sunset (play), a 1927 play novel by Isaac Babel
- “Sunsets” (poem), (also known as “Soleils couchants” or “Setting Suns”), a set of six poems, or a six-part poem, by Victor Hugo
Groups and labels
- Shakin’ Stevens and the Sunsets, a Welsh rock band
- Sunset Records, an American record label
- Sun Set, a box set by Klaatu, 2005
- Sunset (Michel Teló album), 2013
- Sunset (Superbus album), 2013
- Sunset (EP), by Pete Yorn, 2000
- Sunset, half of the Coldplay album Everyday Life, 2019
- Sunsets (DVD), by Powderfinger, 2004
- Sunsets, by Chris Watson, 1994
- “Sunset” (bugle call), a military bugle call in the UK and British Commonwealth
- “Sunset (Bird of Prey)”, by Fatboy Slim, 2000
- “Sunset”, by Air Supply from Air Supply
- “Sunset”, by Boyd Rice (NON) from Easy Listening for Iron Youth
- “Sunset”, by Farruko
- “Sunset”, by J. Cole from Revenge of the Dreamers III
- “Sunset”, by Jackie Lomax from Is This What You Want?
- “Sunset”, by Kate Bush from Aerial
- “Sunset”, by Kim Dong-han
- “Sunset”, by Marques Houston from Mr. Houston
- “Sunset”, by Mike Oldfield from Light & Shade
- “Sunset”, by Roxy Music from Stranded
- “Sunset”, by Stevie Wonder from Tribute to Uncle Ray
- “Sunsets” (song), a 2004 song by Powderfinger
- “Sunset” (Breaking Bad), a season three episode of Breaking Bad
- “Sunset” (True Blood), an episode of the HBO TV series True Blood
- Sunset Productions, an American television syndication company
Other uses in arts, entertainment, and media
- Sunset (Eugène Delacroix), a mid 19th century drawing by Eugene Delacroix
- Sunset (magazine), an American lifestyle magazine
- Sunset (video game), a 2015 art game by Belgium developer Tale of Tales
- Sunset (apple), an apple cultivar
- Sunset (mango), a mango cultivar
- Sunset, Queensland, a suburb of Mount Isa
- Sunset, Victoria
- Sunset, Vancouver, a neighbourhood
- Sunset, Herefordshire
- Sunset, Arizona
- Sunset, Washington County, Arkansas
- Sunset, Arkansas
- Sunset, California
- Sunset, California, former name of Hazelton, California
- Sunset, Florida
- Sunset, Louisiana
- Sunset, Missouri
- Sunset, Maine
- Sunset, South Carolina
- Sunset, Montague County, Texas
- Sunset, Starr County, Texas
- Sunset, Utah
- Sunset, Texas (disambiguation)
- Sunset, West Virginia
- Sunset, Wisconsin
- Bankhead House (Jasper, Alabama), also known as Sunset
- Sunset 4A Region, Nevada
- Sunset Crater, Arizona, U.S.
- Sunset District, San Francisco, California, U.S.
- Sunset Drive, the major roadway through downtown South Miami, Florida, U.S.
- Sunset (RIRTR station), a former Rochester Industrial and Rapid Transit Railway station located in Brighton, New York, U.S.
- 17th Street/Santa Monica College station, in Los Angeles; formerly named “Sunset”
- Sunset (color), a pale tint of orange
- Sunset provision, a clause in a statute that terminates the law after certain date unless further legislative action is taken
- Server sunset, the shutting down of a server hosting an online service
Some Sunset Haikus
1.) The soundtrack to the
film Sunset Boulevard was
composed by Franz Waxman.
2.) Did you dine at the
Indian restaurant Naya
Sunset in LA ?
3.) Have you ever watched
Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical
4.) Did you ever drive
on the 12.5 mile east-west
road called Sunset Drive?
5.) The Indian rules
of war state that fighting stops
when sunset begins.
6.) The novel Sunset
Across India was written
by Susan Evans McCloud.
“Lost – yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is offered, for they are gone forever.”
~ Horace Mann
“No sun outlasts its sunset, but will rise again and bring the dawn.”
~ Maya Angelou
“Being from New York, there’s three things you know about Hollywood. You know about the Hollywood sign, Sunset Strip and Hollywood Boulevard with the stars.”
~ Sean John Combs
“The biggest cliche in Photography is Sunrise and Sunset.”
~ Catherine Opie
“The sky takes on shades of orange during sunrise and sunset, the colour that gives you hope that the sun will set only to rise again.”
~ Ram Charan
“Service Wali Bahu, like most other serials, cater to women audiences and is aimed at smaller towns where people are home by sunset.”
~ Kratika Sengar
“When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.”
~ Mahatma Gandhi
“I’d just love to ride off into the sunset with my love. I’ve only seen the sunset so far. Maybe I can earn my own Ferrari so I can ride off in the sunset without anyone by my side.”
~ Amrita Singh
“Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty.”
“A sunrise or sunset can be ablaze with brilliance and arouse all the passion, all the yearning, in the soul of the beholder.”
~ Mary Balogh
“Thank God, I can look at a sunset now without having to think how to describe it.”
“What makes me really happy is a walk in the English countryside. A nice sunset, that British countryside – it means I’m home.”
~ Natalie Dormer