This is my seventh entry for Jez Braithwaite’s Fan Of Challenge. I’m a fan of the Bollywood Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan (born 1 November 1973) is an Indian actress and the winner of the Miss World 1994 pageant. Through her successful acting career, she has established herself as one of the most popular and influential celebrities in India. Rai has received numerous accolades, including two Filmfare Awards, and was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2009 and the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the Government of France in 2012. She has often been cited in the media as “the most beautiful woman in the world”.
While in college, Rai did a few modelling jobs. Following appearances in several television commercials, she entered the Miss India pageant, in which she placed second. She was then crowned Miss World 1994, after which she began receiving offers to act in film. She made her acting debut in Mani Ratnam’s 1997 Tamil film Iruvar and had her first Hindi film release in Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya that same year. Her first commercial success was the Tamil romantic drama Jeans (1998), following which she achieved wider success and won two Best Actress awards at Filmfare for her performances in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) and Devdas (2002).
Rai garnered critical appreciation for portraying a passionate artist in the Tamil romance Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000), Tagore’s heroine, Binodini, in the Bengali film Chokher Bali (2003), a depressed woman in the drama Raincoat (2004), Kiranjit Ahluwalia in the British drama film Provoked (2006), and a nurse in the drama Guzaarish (2010). Rai’s greatest commercial successes have been the romance Mohabbatein (2000), the adventure film Dhoom 2 (2006), the historical romance Jodhaa Akbar (2008), the science fiction film Enthiran (2010), and the romantic drama Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016). In 2007, Rai starred alongside Ben Kingsley, Colin Firth and Thomas Sangster as the Indian warrior Mira in Doug Lefler’s epic film The Last Legion.
Rai married Bollywood Actor Abhishek Bachchan in 2007; the couple have one daughter. Her off-screen roles include duties as a brand ambassador for several charity organisations and campaigns. She is a Goodwill Ambassador for the Joint United Nations Programme on AIDS (UNAIDS). In 2003, she was the first Indian actress to be a jury member at the Cannes Film Festival. In late 2004, Rai garnered international recognition for her starring role opposite Martin Henderson in Gurinder Chadha’s British film Bride and Prejudice, a Bollywood-style adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice. International film critics expressed mixed views on Rai’s performance as the Punjabi version of Elizabeth Bennet; a review carried by The New York Times mentioned her as “radiantly beautiful but inert”, while Rolling Stone noted that “she is a world-class hottie with talent to match, as she proves in her first English-speaking role”.
Here’s a link to Jez’s blog https://jezbraithwaite.blog/2019/12/31/hogmanay-things-in-scots-22-and-fan-of-48/
National Honours and Recognitions
- 1994 – Miss India World 1994
- 2000 – Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress.
- 2002 – The Times of India named Aishwarya Rai No.1 on the list of the “100 Most Beautiful Indian Women in the Past Century”.
- 2002 – Rajiv Gandhi Award for Excellence in Field of Entertainment.
- 2003 – V. Shantaram Awards – Best Actress for Devdas
- 2004 – GR8! Women Award for Contribution to Cinema(Special Laurel).
- 2007 – Femina “Most Powerful Indian Woman”.
- 2008 – She was selected by Verve in its list of the country’s “Most Powerful Women
- 2009 – V. Shantaram Awards – Best Actress for Jodhaa Akbar
- 2009 – Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award from the Government of India for her contribution to cinema. She created a history by being the youngest actress to receive the award.
- 2009 – Verve “Most Influential Indian Woman”.
- 2009 – Declared as “The Most Powerful Female Actor in India”. The first ever extensive research by a popular research agency(Hansa Research) that was conducted of such magnitude to measure Celebrity Power in India; concentrating on different attributes like Popularity, media presence, power of persuasion and image attributes. This all India research also revealed that Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is amongst the most persuasive and likeable celebrity in India. She has also garnered over 98.8% of recognition as well as recall value which is at par with cinematic legends like Amitabh Bachchan and cricketing star Sachin Tendulkar. Incidentally, she is the only female who is part of the top 10 recognized celebrities from all walks of life.
- 2009 – Filmfare’s “Most Beautiful People”.
- 2010 – The India Today Women Award for Global Achievement.
- 2010 – GR8! Women Award for Social services and international recognition.
- 2010 – Teacher’s Achievement Award – Teacher’s people achievers award.
- 2011 – Femina “India’s Most Beautiful Woman”.
- 2011 – A newer variety of guava, produced by Padma Shri holticulturist Haji Kaleemullah was named after her.
- 2011 – FICCI Frames Excellence Awards – Decade of Global Achievement for contribution to Hindi cinema & acting.
- 2011 – FICCI Frames Award of a Decade of Global Achievement
- 2011 – Honoured with the Pazhassi Raja Purashkaram ‘Abhinaya Kaala Ratna’ instituted by the Pazhassi Raja Charitable Trust.
- 2011 – Honoured by Karnataka Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa at World Kannada Meet (Vishwa Kannada Sammelana) for her contributions to the arts.
- 2012 – Ranked #2 among top “5 Indian Women Who Became Role Models Of Empowerment” alongside Mother Teresa, Kalpana Chawla, Indra Nooyi and Indira Gandhi.
- 2013 – Filmfare Special Centenary Award for Best Actress
- 2013 – Giant Award – Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema
- 2013 –”Most Popular Actress”(Rank #1) in Filmfare 100 years of cinema issue.
- 2013 – Ranked #2 in “Top 5 Global Icon” in Filmfare 100 years of cinema issue where Rai is the only Female in the list.
- 2014 – Asiavision Awards – Icon Of India.
- 2014 – The Times Of India’s Forever Desirable woman.
- 2015 – Hello! “India’s Most Beautiful”.
- 2016 – Outlook Business Outstanding Women Awards – Outstanding Celebrity Woman of the Year.
- 2016 – NRI Of The Year Award – Global Indian of the Year Award
- 2016 – Gauravvanta Gujarati Award
- 2017 – Femina “Most Beautiful Indian Woman”.
- 2017 – Dadasaheb Phalke Award – Best Actress for Sarbjit
- 2018 – 20 January 2018, Aishwarya Rai Honoured with First Ladies Award by President of India (Ram Nath Kovind) – Titled as the First Lady who had created a history by being the first actor to be recognised as a Global Icon from India and the first Indian actor to be a jury member at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival.Honouring her for these great achievements, the Ministry of Women and Child Development of Government of Indiahas added her in the list of 112 women achievers who have achieved a first in any field and made the country proud.
- 2018 – April 2018, Bunt Community Honoured Aishwarya Rai with “Woman of Substance” title.
- 2018 – Femina “India’s Most Beautful Woman 2018”